Thursday, September 3, 2009

Road to Recovery...Life After Cancer


In Life Remember to...Take Time to Smell the Flowers...


Hello Everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted anything.

Sometimes "Life" throws you a curve ball and you become very busy.

I wish I could say with happy, fun things but, unfortunately, my Mom has the dreaded "C" word "Cancer". My Mom was diagnosed at the end of January with rectal cancer. Needless to say this was something my family and I were not prepared for. My Mother is a 73 years young.

She had surgery on June 29th 2009 and she is doing well. My Grandmother had the same type of cancer some 25 years ago, so I guess this runs in my family. When my Grandmother had her operation back in 1982, they did surgery first and then chemo & radiation. She only had radiation before and did not need chemo. With my Mom they did radiation (tomotheraphy) first in conjunction with chemotherapy for 5 weeks. She then rested for 7 weeks. This allowed the tumor to shrink from the size of a small orange to the size of a walnut. This makes it easier for the the surgeon to remove the tumor. Unfortunately, when you have rectal surgery it is very had for the surgeons to save the rectum. Most people have to have a colostomy bag. Like our surgeon said..."This is not the end of the world." 

So now my Mother is recovering...I spent all of May planting around her house. I knew there probably wouldn't be trips to the country or the beach this Summer. I wanted to make my Mom's yard her "Oasis" during her recovery. It is only the beginning of July & the flowers are starting to finally grow. Unfortunately, my flowers are a little behind in growing. In June, we had alot of rain here in NYC. I think it rained something like 24 days out of 30 in June. My flowers were shouting "SUN.....PLEASE"!

Today was a beautiful day and so I took some pictures of my Mom's yard...






Leave Room in the Garden for Angels to Dance...



St. Francis...




Warmest Regards,
Kathleen Sforza

Town & Country Gifts
1213 Castleton Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10310
718-447-8237

Websites:
http://kathleenrosescollection.com/ (an eBay Store)
http://lorrainesfavoritefinds.com/ (an eBay Store)

Blogs:
Lorraine's Favorite Finds
The Savvy Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment